Thursday, April 12, 2007

Bye, Bye Donnie I...

And now it looks like the other show--I mean shoe--has dropped: CBS has cancelled Don Imus' radio show, effective immediately. As my mother was saying yesterday, it was an inevitable move--with corporate sponsors taking a stand and pulling out left and right it was only a matter of time before the networks jumped ship as well. I'm glad this part is done with, but I do hope that folks won't take this to mean that the issues are behind us--in fact, they're just as big today as they were yesterday, and the day before that, and on and on, as my friend Rich Kim points out so beautifully in his post on The Notion (the blog at The Nation). So let's be satisfied that one lesson has been taught about what we'll accept over our airwaves, but let's not imagine that now the fight is over. In fact, just the opposite is true: now is when the hard work actually begins.

No comments: