Thursday, April 19, 2007

A Woman Gets the Abortion Decision Right

There's no way she knows it, but I've loved Dahlia Lithwick for a long time. Not only because her first name reminds me of a horse I once rode many years ago, but because her commentary on Slate is just so damned brilliant.

Today, Lithwick tackles Justice Kennedy's majority opinion in upholding the so-called "partial-birth abortion" ban and truly rips him a new one. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who finds it so utterly irritating when these Supreme Court decisions wax ridiculously poetical, in the hopes, one can only imagine, that people will be lulled into a sense of complacency by the melodious tune of Kennedy's argument. It sure isn't working in this case and as anyone who's read any of the MSM coverage of the finding is now aware, the decision is not only insulting to women, it has--as none other that Ruth Bader Ginsberg put it--no basis to stand.

Despite how outrageous the ruling is, I have to tell you that I know only one, ONE, person who got out and joined a protest over the issue. Including myself--but I hope to change that soon. I'm going to the NARAL site to join up, because this is the beginning of the end my friends. Once you give a fetus rights over a woman by law, there's no going back. Unless, of course, we all get out there and fight for our rights. Remember: the fact that this case got to the Supreme Court was due to some pretty hard work by the Right to reframe the debate on their own terms--and they won, this round. Now it's time for us to take the discussion back. MOVE!

No comments: